Linking your Aadhaar with a PAN card has been made mandatory by the Government of India, as per CBDT Circular No.7/2022 dated 30.03.2022. Those who haven’t yet linked their Aadhaar with their PAN card, will not be able to use their PAN card and will be liable to fine also after the deadline is over. The government has extended the deadline for Aadhaar linking with a PAN card many times before and now it is March 31, 2023. So if you have not done this as of now, you can check these easy ways to link your PAN card with your Aadhar card.
Pre-requisites to Link Aadhaar and PAN Card
You need to link your Aadhaar Card and PAN card if the following apply to you:
- Aadhaar PAN linkage is not done before 31/03/2022
- Valid PAN
- Aadhaar number
- Valid mobile number
Exceptions to link Aadhaar and PAN Card
As per Notification number 37/2017 from the Department of Revenue Notification, dated 11th May 2017. If any of the following applies to you, then you don’t need to link your Aadhaar card and PAN Card:
- Not a citizen of India
- Age > 80 years as of date
- State of residence is ASSAM, MEGHALAYA, or JAMMU & KASHMIR
Methods to Link PAN card with Aadhaar card
The IT department has made it quite easy for taxpayers to link their PAN cards with their Aadhaar. You can do this with a simple online process or by sending an SMS via your registered number. Here’s how you can link your Aadhaar card with your PAN card.
Online via Income tax website
One of the easy ways to link Aadhaar and PAN card, is the income tax website, in a simple two-step process. Keep your Aadhaar Number and PAN handy, and proceed with the following steps:
1. Visit the official website of Income Tax portal, and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar‘ option from the left pane.
2. On the next page, enter details like your PAN number, and Aadhaar number, and click on Validate.
3. Next, click on the continue to Pay Through e-Pay Tax button.
4. Here, you need to Enter your PAN, Confirm your PAN, and your Mobile number to receive OTP.
5. After the OTP verification, you will be redirected to the e-Pay Tax page, click on Continue to proceed.
6. On the next page, click on the Income Tax Tile.
7. Now, you need to select AY (2023-24) and then change the Type of Payment to Other Receipts (500) and Continue.
8. On the next screen, you will see the amount pre-filled, simply click on Continue to make your payment.
If the Aadhaar name is completely different from the name in PAN, then the linking will not be done from here and it will fail. In such a case, you will need to change the name in either Aadhaar or in the PAN database.
Link Aadhaar with PAN through SMS
The Income Tax Department has also facilitated taxpayers to link their Aadhaar with their PAN, using an SMS-based facility. You can link your Aadhaar and PAN card by sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161. Send an SMS to any of these numbers from your registered mobile number in the following format:
UIDPAN <SPACE> <Aadhaar Card Number> <Space> <PAN Number> and send it to 567678 or 56161.
Example: UIDPAN 543212346789 ABCDS1234T
The process of linking Aadhaar with PAN is also available after logging in to the Income Tax website. For this, you need to first register yourself at the Income Tax e-filing website, if you are not already registered.
How to check if PAN & Aadhaar are linked?
If you are not sure that your Aadhaar and PAN cards are linked, you can check the status both online as well as offline. Keep your PAN and Aadhaar cards handy to enter details.
Here’s how you can check the status:
1. Again visit the income tax e-filing portal and Navigate to Aadhaar status from the left pane.
2. Enter your PAN card and Aadhaar details in the provided boxes.
3. Now click on the ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’ option below.
A new page will open up and display the status of your Aadhaar and PAN linking.
In this read, we discussed the three easy ways to link your Aadhaar card and PAN card. If you fail to not link it by 31st March 2023, you may be liable to pay INR 1,000 penalty, and your PAN Card will become inoperative. Check out other useful tips linked below, and stay tuned to GadgetsToUse for more such reads.
You might be interested in:
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.
#link #Aadhaar #Card #PAN #card #online