We’ve all been there. We meet someone for the first time and want to know more about them – where they work, what kind of job they do, and how successful they are.
Or maybe you’re an employer and you want to make sure your new applicant is being truthful on their resume.
Whatever your reasoning, it’s easier than ever to find this information in 2023 – but you still need to be careful with your research techniques!
In this article, we will explore how to find out where someone works without prying or coming off as creepy.
Read on for tips and tricks to on how to find out where someone is currently employed.
Google is the go-to search engine for finding almost anything – and it’s no exception when trying to find out where someone works.
With a few simple keywords, you can get surprisingly accurate results in seconds, especially if your target works somewhere high-profile.
However, it won’t do just to type their name in google and hope for the best. There are 8 billion people on earth, and unless they had very creative parents, it’s unlikely this person is the only one with their name.
Here are some tips on how to use Google to discover where someone works:
- Use their full name as the search term
- Include the words “works” or “employer” after their name
- Add a location to narrow your results
- Use advanced search operators like quotes “” and AND/OR to focus on specific criteria
Using expertise in Google searches, you’ll be able to discover the workplace of almost anyone in no time.
Linkedin is a great place to find out where someone works.
This professional network allows users to list current and past jobs, so it’s essentially made to help you research the employment status of your person of interest.
Linkedin doesn’t require you to have an account of your own to view profiles, so not being a member is not a barrier. All you need is an internet connection and a bit of savvy.
How do you find someone on Linkedin?
Simply type the name of your acquaintance into Linkedin’s search bar, and you’ll be able to see:
- their current job title
- the company they work for
- and even how long they’ve been employed there.
If you’re lucky, you might even find out what kind of role they have in the company and what type of work they do.
If you want to find out where someone works, Linkedin should be one of your first stops.
Find Them On Facebook
Finding where someone is employed is surprisingly easy with the rise of social media.
In fact, it’s simpler than ever due to how many people share their work info on their Facebook profiles!
Even if they don’t directly say where they work on their page, people share much more information than they realize when they post on Facebook.
Here are a few ways you can dig through someone’s Facebook to find out where they work:
- Check their timeline for posts from coworkers that mention where they work
- Look in the background of photos for clues like a company logo or building
- Check their friends’ profiles for photos or posts mentioning where they work
Don’t be discouraged if your initial glance doesn’t turn up anything. Unlock your inner Sherlock Holmes and use Facebook to uncover the workplace of your target.
Search Public Records
For the truly dedicated detective, public records offer a wealth of information – but they do come with a price tag.
Public records search services are fee-based, so it’s important to know that this option is not free.
If the knowledge you seek is worth the price tag, here are some tips on how to use public records to do a people search to find out where someone works:
- Investigate court filings, such as bankruptcy records or tax lien documents.
- Examine property ownership records to see where someone is registered as a business owner.
- Look through DMV records for work vehicles registered in the target’s name.
- Search professional license databases to find out if they are employed in an industry that requires a registered license.
Public records searches can effectively determine where someone works, but it’s important to remember that these inquiries come with a cost. Make sure you know the price before embarking on your search.
Ask Mutual Friends
Sometimes the simplest solution is also the best one.
Your mutual acquaintances may already know where your target works, and asking them directly can be the most direct way to get the answer you’re looking for.
Keep it light and casual – you don’t want to come across as creepy!
Perhaps start with a comment about how you’ve wanted to catch up with your person of interest or how it’s been hard to connect with them lately.
If you need some pointers, here are a few totally casual questions about your target you can drop in your next conversation with a mutual friend:
- How have they been feeling about their job lately?
- How do they like the company they’re working for?
- What kind of work are they doing these days?
- Have they moved to a different company recently?
Chances are, if you’re open and friendly about it, someone in your circle will be able to point you in the right direction.
How to find out where someone works doesn’t have to be complicated; sometimes, all you need is a friendly conversation.
Do a Reverse Phone Lookup
A reverse phone lookup can effectively determine where someone works if you have the person’s phone number.
With a simple search of their phone number, you can access their listed address and even the company they work for.
Here are some tips on how to use a reverse phone lookup to uncover someone’s workplace:
- Make sure to use a trusted search engine that specializes in reverse phone lookups
- Be aware of any fees or charges associated with the service you’re using
- Double-check for accuracy, as information on some services may be outdated
- Lookup multiple numbers; many people will have both their work and personal numbers listed
- Use the search bar to scan for keywords like company name or address
A reverse phone lookup can be a great way to pinpoint where someone works without having to ask around.
Just make sure you double-check the accuracy of your results before coming to any conclusions.
Hire A Private Investigator
So you’ve searched the web, scoured their social media, asked their friends, and looked up their public records and phone numbers to no avail. The workplace of your query remains elusive.
It’s starting to seem like this mark doesn’t want to be found. But if you’re that dedicated to this search, maybe it’s time to hand this over to the pros.
That’s right; PIs aren’t just a thing from the movies. A good private investigator can help you track down even the most difficult information about an individual.
Here are some tips for finding the right PI to help you get your answers:
- Check their credentials and make sure they’re certified to do the job
- Ask for references from previous clients
- Get an idea of how much their services cost
- Find out what kind of information they can provide
- Research their success rate in similar cases
A private investigator can be a great asset when it comes to how to find out where someone works.
But remember to research first to ensure you’re getting the best service for your money.
Use a People Search App or Website
If you’re not quite desperate enough for a PI, it may be time to turn to technology for help.
People search apps and websites can provide a wealth of information about someone’s workplace, all in one spot.
Let’s examine a few websites to help you find where someone works.
TruthFinder is a people search engine that can be used to find out where someone works.
Truthfinder offers a variety of ways to get started depending on the information you have.
With the People Search tool, you need your query’s name, and you can instantly access their workplace details.
Here’s how to use TruthFinder to find out where someone works:
- Enter the person’s name in the search bar
- Review their work history and other public records associated with them
- Use the Reverse Phone Lookup to verify contact information, like their cell phone number
- View address details such as their place of residence or business address
- Access the company name and the job title
- Get a full profile of their work history, including previous employers.
Remember that Truthfinder is not free; you’ll need a monthly membership which costs around $30 each month, but if this information is worthwhile, Truthfinder may be the right tool for you.
With BeenVerified, figuring out how to find out where someone works is a breeze!
BeenVerified’s People Search function is remarkably simple:
- Enter the person’s first and last name into their search bar
- Give some additional info – state, age of residence – to help narrow down the matches.
- Boom! A list of potential matches pops up in mere moments.
- Now all you have to do is pick your best match and click “build report.”
BeenVerified is a powerful people search engine that allows users to track down information about an individual, including their workplace.
BeenVerified quickly searches through public records and provides a detailed report within moments.
For a monthly price of around $20, you can find out where someone works, get contact information such as phone numbers or addresses, and learn more about the person.
If you’re searching for someone in a budget-friendly way, Spokeo is your go-to.
At just $14.95 per month, Spokeo offers amazing value for money compared to many of its competitors.
Spokeo supports five types of searches:
- Phone number
- Email address
- Social media username
- And physical address
Searching on Spokeo could not be simpler!
All you have to do is scroll to the top of the page, enter your query into the search box, and click “Search Now.”
It’s worth mentioning that while they may have a great price tag, Spokeo’s reports tend to come up with fewer details than other, more expensive People Searchers.
That said, Spokeo should be more than enough to help you find someone’s place of employment, provided you give them enough information.
You don’t have to be Columbo to find out information about someone online; the myriad of options available today makes finding out where someone works easier than ever.
From hiring a private investigator to using People Search apps or websites, there are numerous ways to track down this valuable information.
Now that you know how to find out where someone works, it’s time to break out the magnifying glass and get searching! You never know what secrets you might uncover in your investigation.
Now we’d like to hear from you! What methods have you used to find out where someone works? Let us know what worked best for you in the comments. Happy sleuthing!